Reason #5: "Utah Is The ONLY Division 1 School In The State Without a Men's Team"



Picture this. It's a beautiful spring day, perhaps mid-March. Sunny and 72 degrees. Mountains extending along the horizon. The McCarthy Track and Field Complex PAC-12 banners flapping with the slight breeze. All six division I schools in the state of Utah gathering together to prove who truly has the best track team in the state.

Utah Valley University men's and women's 800 meter runners are warming up.

Brigham Young University men's and women's distance runners are making last minute adjustments to their track spikes.

Southern Utah men's and women's high jumpers are loosening some tightened up hamstrings from their long bus ride.

Weber State men's and women's throwers are getting the final weigh-ins and measurements for their implements.

Utah State men's and women's pole vaulters are measuring out their approach steps.

University of Utah men's and women's relay teams are practicing hand-offs.

Wait....hold on. Something's wrong. Oh yeah! That's right. Utah doesn't have a men's team. So this epic meet to find out who the best in the state is could never truly happen because Utah is the ONLY school among them who doesn't field a men's team. Not only could this meet be the highlight of the track and field year in the state, but none of these schools could ask for a better recruiting atmosphere for future prospects.

So what do coaches in the state of Utah (college and high school) think about Utah bringing back Men's track? Let's find out. To protect them, I left their quotes anonymous, but believe me when I say, they're real.

One coach stated:
It would be great for the U of U to re-instate their Men's program. Track and Field is a healthy sport and the more people involved the better.
Another coach told me:
I believe that if Utah reinstated its men's program, they could be very successful. From our perspective, I can see how Utah would be a tough competitor.  
Another coach had an interesting story to tell me:
I first heard about Utah not having a men's program when I was in high school going through my recruiting process. I had sent and email to the coach my junior year saying that I was interested. They told me they would call me on July 1st, the first day they were allowed to call according to NCAA rules. After July 1st came and went, I was a little confused because I had never heard from them. I remember getting online to do a little research about the program and seeing that it had been cut. I remember feeling disappointed that Utah would no longer be an option for me in going to school. I think it's too bad for the high school track athletes now who find themselves in the same situation - that Utah is not really a viable option for them.
It's sad. It really is. Especially for the kids that want to come to the U. I was one of those kids. When I was 21, I moved out here from Missouri. I was a decathlete at a small college in central Missouri and when I transferred out to the University of Utah, I had every intention of walking-on and trying to compete. When I stepped into the head coach's office to ask when walk-on tryouts were, he told me there was no men's team.

At the time it was incredibly shocking for me but I decided to stay, finish my degree and start my life. I'm married now and have an 18 month old son who, from the looks of it, is going to be an athlete himself. I love this school. I love what it has given me and what it continues to give me, but I believe that a terrible injustice is being done to these kids that want to come here. Maybe, one day, when I have a head full of gray hair and creaky knees, I can come to the Utah Spring Classic meet at McCarthey Track and watch my son sport the drum and feather logo and break my personal javelin record.
Share on Google Plus

About Unknown

"I'm a graduate of the University of Utah and self proclaimed 'biggest track fan in the state of Utah.' Since Utah is an Olympic proud state, it seems odd that Utah doesn't fully support the marquee sport of the Olympics. Let's do something about it!"
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

1 comments:

  1. Cool and I have a tremendous offer: How To Become A House Renovation best home renovation

    ReplyDelete